Rhubarb Crumble – Nutritional composition and how to prepare
Rhubarb (scientific name Rheum rhabarbarum) is a vegetable that a lot of people use like fruit in cooking and recipes. Though it belongs the native to Asia, it is also grown in other parts of the world, including the United States. The plant prefers cooler environments as it doesn’t fare well in the heat and harsh weather.
Rhubarb is one of the delights of spring and summer in an English vegetable garden. The cooked, chopped stems are delicious, sweetened slightly, either served with low-fat yogurt or in a crumble.
Rhubarb is rich in antioxidants, particularly anthocyanins (which give it its red color) and proanthocyanidins. These antioxidants have anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties, which help protect you from many health-related issues such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Rhubarb can also help to lower cholesterol, and restore healthy glowing skin.
Other nutrients in rhubarb include:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
1. 5 or 6 stems of rhubarb, leaves and base removed and cut into thumbnail size chunks
2. sprinkling of caster sugar
3. generous pinch of cinnamon
4. 2 handfuls of organic wholemeal self-raising flour
5. A small handful of demerara sugar
6. A small handful of porridge oats
7. 50 grams of organic unsalted butter
1. Set the oven to 1900C
2. Tip the rhubarb chunks into a deep oven proof bowl and add the sugar and cinnamon
3. In a mixing bowl, cut the softened butter into small pieces and add to the flour
4. With clean, cold fingers, crumble the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
5. Add the oats and sugar and stir into the crumble mixture
6. Put the mixture on top of the rhubarb
7. Sprinkle with cold water
8. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 40 minutes until it turns golden in colour and slightly bubbling
9. Serve warm with a small dollop of zero-fat Greek yoghurt.
You may also like to read our recently publshed article, How to Combat Stress With Good Nutrition; Stress Management Techniques